Friday, November 8, 2013

"I know." - Says everyone ever.

The phrase "I know" holds a lot for being so small in size. When someone says  " I know" it denotes that they are positive about something based on facts, or experiences. I feel like I don't know very much. I mean have only been around in this life for 19 years. I really know almost nothing in comparison to most.  But I suppose that I know a few things.

I don't know much about science, but I know the I exist, that I am made of matter, that the way my body was created is based on the DNA make up that was formed as I grew inside my mother. And I know that there are a lot of other terms like cytoplasm, mitochondria, ribosome, genome, and other big words that I don't know the meaning of that help explain all of it.

 I know these things inside our bodies exist because it there is science to prove it. It has been stated and theorized and experimented and proven. I suppose I personally don't know these things with a certainty, because I have never proven them myself in a laboratory, with a lab coat and goggles, but I have faith that the intelligent people of the world aren't leading me astray.

So there are things we can know based on facts, like the things in our bodies, and our palpable flesh and bones. But there are also things we know based on experiences.

-I know the stove will hurt me if it is hot and I touch it, because I burnt myself at the age of seven.
-I know that watermelons are gross, because I tried it when I was young and it had a gross texture.
-I know that my dad gives good back scratches because it feels nice when he scratches my back.

I know all of this, not because science told me, but because I experienced life, and I found out these things as a result.

As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints there are a lot of people who are say "I know" this or "I know"that, about the various doctrines or truth of the things of our religion. They state with such conviction that they KNOW, and how can you dispute that? You can't. Because it is personal. People will know certain things differently than others will know them, and you can't compare what you know, because you live inherently differently lives. But still when people start saying they know something, if you don't know it, you will want to.

When my friends say to me, "This is the best Bubble tea I have ever had", or "'Dr. Who' is the best television series" or "I love this Artist so much, you need to listen", I always want to know what they know. I want to find out if it really is the best bubble tea, or if Dr. Who is really a good series. So I try it out. I taste the bubble tea, I watch the series. And I judge for myself if it is good. And then I know.

So it is with God. And finding out what you know. You can't base it on what others say. You may be able to trust for a while that the good people, your friends and family, aren't lying, but there comes a time you need to try for yourself. Test the waters and find out.

Whatever the query is, whether you are tying to decide if there is a God, if the Book of Mormon is true, if Joseph Smith was really a prophet or if Jesus is the Christ, we cannot know with out experience, and without asking.

There are some questions that can be answered from research or facts, teachers or intellects. But only God can tell you in your soul of the truthfulness of His reality, of the actuality of Joseph Smith's encounter with God the Father and Jesus Christ, and the authenticity of the Book of Mormon as the word of God. The things of God can only be known by, and through the power of God. Not through any powers of man.

As questioners are seeking for truth, it will take study and faith. Answers will most often not come to you over night, but they will come over time as you show the Lord that you want them, through Prayer, study, experience and keeping the commandments of God.

"Seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith."
 (D&C 88:118-Pearl of Great Price)

As you seek for knowledge and learning, your faith will grow. It will become easier to recognize the spirit in your life and to see the good that comes from God. If you are showing this desire to God through faith and study then he cannot refrain from answering your prayers.

"Ask, and it shall be given unto you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh, receiveth; and he that seeketh, findeth; and to him that knocketh, it shall be opened."
(3 Nephi 14:17-18- Book of Mormon)

God want's all of his children to be reminded of him, to recapture the relationship that He remembers so well. He loves us, and wants us to receive answers. And if we ask with sincerity to know. He will answer, in his own way and time.

I will now tell you, dear readers, that I know, that you can know. That I know that God will answer you, if you ask with a sincere desire, and with intention to act on the answer he provides. He wants to answer you. Ask Him. Over time you will be able to use the words         'I know' with the same certainty as so many others. But before you can know, you have to experiment, and ask.


No comments:

Post a Comment